What personal information do we collect on the Web Site, and how do we collect it?
- When you subscribe to Review of Optometry®, you will be taken to the Web site of our fulfillment house, Hallmark Data, where we ask you for your first and last name, title, company name, address, phone number, fax number, and e-mail address.
- When you sign up to take CE tests, we ask you to create a "CE profile" that includes your name (first, middle, last), address, phone, e-mail, and fax number, as well as the numbers, states and expiration dates of your licenses.
- When you sign up for a Review of Optometry conference, you will be taken to the Web site of our third-party registration service at www.cevent.com, where we will ask you for first and last name, designation (e.g., “OD”), title, company name, address, work phone number, work fax number, cell number, and e-mail address.
How do we use the personal information that we collect and who has access to it?
- From subscription forms and CE test registration forms:
- Our circulation department may share your name and street address from the online subscription form with our direct mail vendors (who are engaged on a job-to-job basis), who may send you renewal mailings, and with our list vendor, who may include your name and address in lists that it rents to third parties. We also may share your name and address with MBNA America Bank, N.A., with whom we have a credit card program. MBNA may use that information to send you offers for a JMI Optical credit card.
- If you provide your e-mail address when you subscribe to our publication, we may send you subscription renewal forms by e-mail. If you provide your e-mail either in subscribing or in taking a CE test, we or our list vendor(s) may use it to send you (a) newsletters published by JMI and/or its affiliates about developments and opportunities in the optical and ophthalmic industries; (b) e-mails from JMI’s Eyefind® service, and (c) other advertisements and promotional messages for other optical products and services offered by JMI and by other companies. We may also provide your e-mail address to our affiliates and others in the optometric and optical fields who offer products and services that may be of use to you.
- If you provide your telephone number, we may share it with telemarketing companies (who are engaged on a job-by-job basis) who may use it to solicit renewals of your subscription, and with our list vendor, which may include the phone number along with your name and address in lists that it rents to third parties. You do not have to provide your telephone number to subscribe to Review of Optometry.
- If you provide your fax number, you give consent for us to send you fax advertisements for JMI information products and services, including products and services of our subsidiary Frames Data Inc., and products and services of third parties in the optical and ophthalmic fields, at the fax number you have provided. We also may share your name and fax number with our fax vendor, who may send you subscription renewal forms by fax. You do not have to provide your fax number to subscribe to Review of Optometry.
- We use the information that you provide in your CE profile to grade your tests and send you certificates for the tests that you complete successfully.
- From conference registration forms:
- If you provide us with your e-mail address on a conference registration form (but you do not subscribe or take any CE tests), we will use that e-mail only to communicate with you about your registration and to send you e-mails about future Review of Optometry and Review of Ophthalmology® conferences and events.
- If you provide us with your street address on a conference registration form (but you do not subscribe or take any CE tests), we will use that address only to send you mailings about future Review of Optometry and Review of Ophthalmology conferences and events.
- If you provide us with your fax number on a conference registration form (but you do not subscribe or take any CE tests), we may use that fax number to fax an invitation to a Review of Optometry and Review of Ophthalmology conference or event if we get prior consent to fax to that number.
- After each conference, we may be obligated to provide a report to the conference sponsor(s) that states everything of value that each healthcare professional received, from meals to honoraria. Each such report includes the name, business name, business address, and phone number of each attendee. If a particular sponsor requests, we may also provide that sponsor with the license number of each attendee.
From all sources:
- If we are required to disclose your personal information by any applicable law, court order, or government regulation, we will comply with such laws, orders or regulations.
Do any third parties collect information on the Web Site?
Bizo, Inc. (www.bizo.com) collects non-personally identifiable information about visitors to the Web Site such as job function, seniority, company size, industry, and geography, which it calls "Bizographic Data." Bizo uses Bizographic Data to track visitors to the Web Site by IP address and to serve ads to those visitors when they visit other Web sites within Bizo’s network. Bizo does not collect any personally identifiable information.
What about non-confidential information that I transmit to you?
Any communication or material that you transmit to us by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like is, and will be treated as, nonconfidential and nonproprietary. We may use anything you transmit to us or post on the Web Site for any purpose, including but not limited to, reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, posting and/or ranking. Furthermore, you expressly agree that we are free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to us without compensation and for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products and services using such information.
How can I correct my personal information?
To keep your personal subscription information accurate, current, and complete, please contact Hallmark Data Systems at 1- 877-529-1746 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you receive a confirmation of a conference registration and you see that your personal information is incorrect, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com.
How can I be sure that my Information is secure on your Web site?
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information as you transmit it from your computer to our site and to protect it from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error-free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from the Web Site may not be secure, Moreover, where you use passwords, ID numbers, or other special access features on the Web Site; it is your responsibility to safeguard them.